…made with Fat-Free Lifetime Swiss Cheese!
So here’s the thing, you have a small party, with your body-building buddies and you don’t want to cheat too badly…
No, no, wait…you have a get-together with friends that all have cholesterol or diet issues and you just want a light snack…
Well, not really, but perhaps you are serving breakfast to house guests who are on a low-fat/low-calorie diet, aaaand…
…or maybe you just want to treat yourself and that special someone to a romantic heart-healthy brunch!
This recipe will fit the bill for any of the above, so let’s roll!
First, a big thank you to Lifetime for making their wonderful Fat-Free, Low-Fat, and Gluten-Free line of delicious cheeses! I will be featuring their product in future recipes, and wow have I got some great recipe ideas for you! If you cannot find their cheeses at your local store, talk to the store manager or put in a written request for your store to carry Lifetime Cheese. Get their info and/or visit them on Facebook, Twitter, or on their yummy Website. Check out their full line of epicurious cheeses and look for more scrumptuous recipe ideas!
Let’s do these Quiche!
1 medium sweet onion, diced (I used Maui Sweet)
2 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped
* Fat-Free cooking spray
* salt and pepper to taste (I use sea-salt and freshly ground)
1 8-ounce package Fat-Free Lifetime Swiss Cheese, grated
3-5 mushrooms sliced 3/8″ thick
1-1/4 cups fat-free egg substitute
1/2 cup fat-free half and half
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* salt and pepper to taste
12 3-1/2″ square wonton wrappers
1) Heat frying pan to medium high heat, then spray with fat-free cooking spray and immediately add chopped onions. Cook for 15 minutes stirring them often to brown evenly. You do not need a lot of spray just a light coat. When browned nicely, add spinach and 1-2 tablespoons of water to keep moist and wilt the spinach. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2) Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
3) Whisk or blend in blender just until bubbly: egg, half and half, and nutmeg. Set aside.
4) Lightly spray a standard 12-muffin pan, or two 6-muffin pans, with cooking spray. Place wonton wrappers evenly into the cups. Do NOT press firmly, allow them to fold with air pockets, they will settle as they are filled and cooked.
5) Sprinkle 1/2 of the Lifetime Fat-Free Swiss Cheese dividing equally into each wonton cup. Next, top with spinach and onions, then the remaining cheese. Top each with a mushroom slice. Pour egg mixture into each cup, dividing evenly between the 12 cups. Hint: fill each quiche with scant amount needed, go back and repeat a second time to ensure the mixture is distributed equally.
6) Bake for 20 minutes. Quiche should be a light golden brown, centers should be set. Serve immediately. Quiche can be reheated in the microwave. Best if served fresh out of the oven. Can refrigerate and reheated the next day.
Tweaks: I like them with a garnish of honey mustard and lots of freshly ground pepper. Fat-free sour cream laced with a touch of cream sherry is a fantastic brunch garnish squiggle on the plate! Add more mushrooms if you like, or replace the baby spinach with Swiss chard or your favorite cooked greens. They are perfect served with a fresh fruit salad for breakfast. As an appetizer, serve with a slightly sweet wine or a sweeter wine such as Moscato.
Thanks again, Lifetime, for making this wonderful fat-free, gluten-free Swiss cheese.
Fat-Free Swiss Cheese, Mushroom, and Spinach Mini-Quiche Nutritional Data
Servings per recipe 12
Total Fat 0.02g
Saturated Fat 0g
% of Calories from Fat 0%
Carbohydrate 11g 207mg
Make it a great day! Eat to live and enjoy life!!